A family farm

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Getting Ready for Spring

I'm slowly allowing spring fever to take hold and settle in. It doesn't help me keep the fever reined in with weather in the 40's. Tomorrow it is supposed to get up to 50 degrees! I know we'll probably get more snow, but for now, I'm a little bit excited. I'm trying real hard to not get carried away. Last night I made some progress with my calendar and wrote down what gets planted on what dates on the calendar. I still have to get that into my phone. Today, in the GRIT magazine from 2008 that my in-laws gave to me, I found the instructions on how to make a small greenhouse. It is exactly what I'm looking for! I am so excited. Unfortunately, the instructions in the magazine didn't include the beginning which told how to make the floor and foundation. I used my computer savvy and looked up the May/June 2008 issue of GRIT online, and lo, and behold, I found it and was able to print out the article! I'm so excited about this I could just about jump for joy! My previous plan was to refurbish a shed, taking off the siding and replacing it with 2 glass panels (and more as I found them) from an old sliding glass door. I do believe I'll use those panels for this greenhouse so it's not all greenhouse plastic. I also read up on sunflowers and I think I'll try to plant a large clump of them. I read another article on tomatoes that included a section on getting the seeds from the tomato plants ready to plant the following spring. All in all, it was a rather productive 1/2-hour lunch.

No comments: