A family farm

Monday, November 22, 2010

Ending the Gardening Season ...

I'm laying down flattened and expanded cardboard boxes all over my garden tonight. The chickens have scratched the dirt up real well, so now it is time to make sure no weeds come up first thing in the spring. I should have more worms and great soil to till first thing in April. I have to get my rototiller over to my brother's house soon so he can putz around with it through the winter. He has as much access to it in the spring as I do. I don't mind. He's a mile up the road from me so sharing is easy. The other thing I need to do is cover my strawberries and not-so-hearty herbs with a nice blanket of straw. I have the straw. I need to use it.

We didn't get the donkey as I'd hoped, but we did acquire another goat - Lucy. She was already pregnant when we got her so I'm hoping for her to have at least one girl. We'll be able to keep her and raise her.

The chickens aren't laying very well right now, but I think they are molting. There are feathers everywhere! Hopefully they'll be done with that soon and get back to laying 8-10 eggs per day.

Harley is in heat, and it is so annoying! Can't wait for that to be done. First thing next January, she is getting fixed.

No comments: