A family farm

Monday, November 19, 2012

Red Letter Revolution

I just finished reading the Red Letter Revolution by Shane Claiborne and Tony Campolo courtesy of BookSneeze. I don't think I could say enough good about this book. Every follower of Christ should read this. I grew up thinking that God was a big judge up in the sky. I had to follow a lot of rules and condemn all the sinners around me to go to heaven. Since then, I've rebelled and came back to the church, but it is a far different church that I attend now than I did when I was young. It's been an insane journey. Today I attend a church that is very focused on outreach and community. Reading this book really was like reading a confirmation that I'm on the right track. It really wasn't like I was learning anything new, but I felt convicted by the book as I am a selfish person really. In pretty much everything involving our lives in the world we live in today, we are to set ourselves up as lesser than our neighbor. That's pretty much the gist of it all. I comes down to Love God, Love Your Neighbor. So many of us don't do that today, and here in America, we're all pretty guilty of thinking only of ourselves. There are a few haves but a great number of have nots. They gave examples of things they have done that have worked for them and helped those that needed it. They advocated teaching and uplifting rather than doing for or in place of those in need helping themselves. While reading this book, I ended up having a great conversation with a gentleman who asked what I was reading and what it was about while waiting for my daughter's band concert to start. It really was quite amazing to get into a conversation about Christ with a stranger at a public school, all just because he asked what I was reading. My Facebook posts reflected what I learned as I read this book. I can't say enough how much I recommend this book.

No comments: