A family farm

Sunday, November 4, 2012

It's been quite awhile since I posted here ... So I should give an update. I'll start with the cows. Sirloin is weighing in at a whopping 450 lbs. He is afraid of the weight tape, which is really quite funny. I think he just doesn't like getting his shots (wormer), and associates our sneaking up on him with the weight tape as if we were going to give him a poke. Tenderloin and Porterhouse both weigh about 375 lbs each. Porterhouse is the thinnest, and I think he's the most picky about what he eats. There's still quite a bit of edible grass out in their pasture, but we give them a square of hay in the morning and another in the evening. They sit there and bawl and bawl for it. They are worse than the goats.

Speaking of ... the goats are doing well - better since we gave Joey to my brother and his family. The rut went smoothly in their pen. Joey is a whether, but he thought he was a buck and caused a lot of trouble for Freddie. And thanks to Freddie, I do believe that Lily, Betsy and Ginger are all pregnant. Lily is gigantic!

We butchered about 8 roosters, 5 ducks and a couple of turkeys. The chickens have been tried, and I must say that they are quite tasty. I'm looking forward to trying the ducks and turkeys. We still have Lucy and Foreman and Quagmire and Georgie. We also have 38 hens, and I kept the pretty Wellsummer rooster. We're just not getting a good amount of eggs. I don't understand it! We get about 5 eggs a day. Tanto, the little Indian Runner duck lays an egg pretty much every day.

Henry is looking for a girlfriend. That poor peackock1 I can't believe how pretty he's getting!!! We do need to find him a lady friend.

That's all for now - even tho we got an extra hour, I'm beat - at 8:15!!!!!!

No comments: